Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Getting Back to My Existential Ways

So I’m finally doing this, I’ve held out and held out, but I’ve decided to try my hand at blogging.  I haven’t blogged before because I’m quite honestly scared of it.  Why would anyone want to read anything I have to write? Why would anyone care about my thoughts on any particular topic? Haven’t most things already been done or said or thought of?  I’ve already written these first few sentences about ten times, write, delete, self-edit, repeat.   Trying to make it “perfect” whatever that means, wondering whose on the other end of the cloud, maybe no one, maybe a few family members, maybe many…..oh the unknown.

In my career it has been ingrained in me to always think of your audience first, who are they, what do they want to know, what do you want them to take away?  How do you answer those questions when you’re sitting in your basement writing a post to the unknown.  So I promise nothing.  This is my experiment and challenge for me, to learn more about technology, using technology to build relationships, and expressing myself freely in written form. 

The last time I sat down and analyzed something I read or studied and then formulated an organized thoughtful written “essay,” if you will, was freshman year in undergrad.  Since then I’ve written thousands of emails and TPS reports, most in bullet point format, any writing capabilities or thought provoking analysis I had in high school have cobwebs.  I’ve been dumbed down to business speak and corporate fluff.  So this blog is my way to dust off those cobwebs.  Maybe one day I can live up to that “A” essay on Dante’s Inferno or that English project on The Crucible or those many papers on existentialism, well one can dream.  

6 comments:

  1. Wow !
    That was a blast from the past. Transported me back to the day when I would hear, "Hey Mom, read this." And as your writing progressed, I also watched a young lady "progress" in her thinking. Remember the essay you wrote as a senior in high school...then re-wrote it in college because your view had changed?
    Grade: A+
    Teacher: Mrs. DubYa
    ...and now your a Blogger. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to make me your first blog friend!! I remember stealing some of those papers and using them myself. Some I rewrote depending on the degree of my procrastination, others I blatantly plagarized by simply whiting out the name and adding my own and making a copy of the first page. All of them resulting in an A...oh the joys of being a little sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is your blog named Supper Table 2.0?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, and welcome! (The witch sent me!) Don't be scared! I remember being the same when I was trying to find out about homeschooling and all I could find were blogs. I made some really great friends and then it just started to flow. I in no way claim to write anything marvelous or outstanding and also thought I would be boring. My blog is like my little thought space! Sometimes interesting, sometimes silly, sometimes boring, sometimes poetic, sometimes I go back and read past posts and wonder "what was I thinking?" but I love it. Im sure you will have great fun too!

    ReplyDelete